If you’ve been thinking about a new roof for your Orlando home you may find yourself overwhelmed by the sheer number of options available to you. Two of the most popular roofing options in the area are asphalt shingle roofs and metal roofs, and both of these have distinct advantages and disadvantages for homeowners.
Things to Consider When Choosing a Roof
When you’re choosing a new roof for your home you’ll want to consider several important factors to make the best choice for your home.
The primary factor in most homeowners’ roofing choices is their budget. Before you go any further, you’ll want to decide on a general budget with an upper limit for your new roof.
Within your budget, there are sure to be many different style options. Think about the curb appeal and aesthetic you’re hoping to add to your home before making your decision.
The durability of your roof is exceptionally important in protecting your family, home, and belongings. You’ll want a roof that can stand up to the elements and keep you safe.
To go along with durability, you need to consider the climate in which you live. Different roofing materials are better suited to different climates. You’ll need to make sure your dream roof is suitable for the weather patterns of Orlando.
How much maintenance are you willing to put into your roof? And how many repairs are you willing to schedule over the life of the roof? The level of maintenance required by a material is an important thing to think about when you’re choosing your roof.
The expected lifespan of your roof is also an important thing to think about when you’re deciding which roof to get for your home. Depending on the initial investment you’re willing to make, you may find it more cost-effective in the long term to choose a more expensive roof with a longer lifespan.
Asphalt Shingle Roof Advantages and Disadvantages
Asphalt shingle roofs are undeniably the most popular roofing option among Orlando homeowners, and they come with numerous advantages and disadvantages.
- Asphalt shingles are very affordable because they are cheap to make, very accessible, and easy to install.
- Asphalt shingles can be installed very quickly and with little effort.
- They’re relatively durable with solid life expectancy if well-maintained
- Some asphalt shingles are extremely susceptible to storm damage, particularly from wind.
- They’re not an environmentally friendly option.
- The lifespan of asphalt shingles is much lower than other roofing options.
Metal Roof Advantages and Disadvantages
While asphalt shingles remain king in the residential roofing world, metal roofs are rapidly gaining in popularity in Orlando and surrounding areas such as Deltona.
- Metal roofs have one of the longest life expectancies of any roofing material available.
- With increasing popularity comes increasing return on investment.
- Metal roofs are very low-maintenance and rarely need to be repaired.
- Both materials and installation are more costly when it comes to metal roofs.
- Metal roofs can be difficult and complex to install.
- Some metal roofs can be heavy, making them unsuitable for some homes.
Still trying to decide between asphalt shingles and metal for your new roof in Orlando? Contact the roofing specialists at Pinnacle Roofing Group in Orlando, today, to schedule a free estimate and discuss your options!